FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is affiliate marketing?
It is a type of performance based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates of each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. It’s a process whereby one platform (a website or social media page) sends traffic to another platform. As an affiliate you will earn revenue by simply referring others to a particular product or service.
What does it mean to be an affiliate?
To be officially attached or connected to an organization.
What is a HTTP cookie?
It is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user’s hard drive by the user’s web browser while the user is surfing the net.
The purpose of a HTTP cookie is to provide a reliable mechanism for websites to remember stateful information like recording the user’s browsing history or tracking items in your online shopping cart. So if you ever wondered why sites like eBay and Amazon remember what you added in your shopping cart, it’s thanks to cookies.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of affiliate marketing?
- You don’t need to have physical stock or inventory.
- There is no need for handling like packing, shipping
- You don’t need much capital to start or maintain your affiliate business.
- Flexible working hours and being your own boss.
- Work anywhere in the world if you have internet access.
- Earn money while you are sleeping.
- There are many diverse ways of affiliating products and services.
- As an affiliate you can sell almost any product or service in the world, you have a much wider range of potential customers.
- Credible vendors like eBay or Amazon have many support tools that help you target products and services that sell successfully, resulting in more sales and commissions.
- There are thousands of affiliate programs available from small private businesses that can be more rewarding than dealing with large.
- Set up your own affiliate program, offer it to the world and get traffic sent to your website. This system can work both ways.
- This is one of the fastest methods to earn revenue online.
- There are many misleading affiliate programs out there that turn out to be scams.
- No control over the commission rates that merchants can change at any given time or without notification.
- You do not have any control over the product quality or delivery time.
- If you offering credit for members to sign through your own affiliate program on your site, there is a chance you can receive fake sign ups unless you have reliable security software or plug-ins in place.
- Some affiliate opportunities like the CPA (click per action) model have certain requirements. Usually your website will need to be generating lots of traffic before you can qualify.
There are many more advantages and disadvantages in affiliate marketing but these are the ones that seem to be common.
How do you make money from affiliate marketing?
Once you are signed up with an affiliate program you should receive a unique referral id link, this allows the merchant to identify where the sale lead came from and pay commissions accordingly.
You can promote this referral id link through your website (banners and content marketing), social media posts or through blog sites you are part of. In this case it’s always best to own your own website so you are not restricted to certain requirements or rules. This website is an example of content marketing with affiliate association.
If you create an affiliate program you will compensate others as a result of bringing you traffic to your website or online store.
How to find a good affiliate program that will work?
Like a niche, always pick something you love and are very familiar with. Just because a friend or colleague is doing well selling Nike shoes through his Facebook page doesn’t mean you will make money as well. Choose something that feels natural and that is YOU 🙂
I’m not going to elaborate on eBay and Amazon as these are obvious sites you can source and promote their huge range of products. You can read more information on the EPN (eBay Partner Network) and Amazon Associates.
Another technique you can use is to open Google and type your niche or product you plan to sell and type “+ affiliate” or “+ affiliate program”.
nike shoes + affiliate
iphone led cover + affiliate program
gold watch + best affiliate program
You will get all kinds of results and you also need to BE CAREFUL for scams! Don’t sign up with a random company that seems to look good or you know nothing about them. Do cross research and make sure it’s not a scam, read reviews or testimonies, check their history, check wiki info etc.
If you not sure then stick to only credible sites and merchants. I promote a lot of affiliate programs on this site and only ones I use and trust myself.
One of the most rewarding and trustworthy affiliate programs that I am currently involved with is Wealthy Affiliate and would highly recommend starting here as they offer a free training course for one week. During these 7 days you can create 2 free websites and take advantage to learn as much as possible about affiliate marketing, building a website and how you can start a proper online business. Another unique aspect is the community that is willing to help you.
If you have more FA questions that you would like answered and added to this post please leave a comment below.
Will be happy to assist in any way possible ?